The Opening of Hearts in Explaining the State of the Deceased and of the Graves
Al-Imam Jalal ad-Din As-Suyuti
Mahdi Lock (translation)
It is on the authority of al-Hasan, who said, 'When Allah the Exalted created Adam and his progeny, the angels said, "The earth will not be spacious enough for them.'
He said, "I will create death."
They said, "Then they will not enjoy life."
He said, "I will create hope."
The event of losing a loved one leaves many left behind seeking meaning in their loss and answers to myriad of questions. What happens when we die? Can the deceased hear us? Can they see us? Can we benefit them? Can they benefit us?
This masterpiece by Imam Jalal ad-Din as-Suyuti not only provides answers to these questions and so many more but also offers hope, comfort, and solace by describing the believer's journey from this life into the next.
1. The Beginning of Death
2. The Prohibition Against Wishing for Death
3. The Superiority of a Long Life Spent in Obedience to Allah
6. Remembering Death and Preparing for It
10. The Sign of a Good End
11. The One Whose Appointed Time is Near, How Death Happens, and Its Severity
19. The Sky and the Earth Weeping Over the Believer When He Dies
24. The Questioning of the Two Angels
28. That Which Saves From the Punishment of the Grave
34. The Deeds of the Living Being Shown to the Deceased
37. The Spirits of the Deceased and the Spirits of the Living Meeting During Sleep
41. What Benefits the Deceased in His Grave
Conclusion: Regarding Beneficial Lessons Connected to the Spirit