The Isra' and Mi'raj: The Prophet's Night Journey and Ascent into Heaven
‘Abd-Allah Hajjaj has compiled from al-Fath al-Bari a selection of Hadith on the Isra’, the Prophet Muhammad’s ﷺ Night-Journey from the Kab’ah in Makkah to Bayt al-Maqdis (Jerusalem), and the Mi’raj, the Prophet Muhammad’s ﷺ ascension to heaven. This selection of Hadith takes us from Makkah to Jerusalem then up to the seven heavens, to the meeting with previous prophets and shows us the wonders of Paradise.
The Isra’ and Mi’raj is of great importance to all Muslims, for this is when Allah commanded the five daily prayers, one of the five pillars of Islam. Also Prophet Muhammad ﷺ leading all the other prophets in prayer shows that Islam is the fulfilment and perfection of mankind’s religious development, and that he was the last and greatest of Allah’s Messengers.
1. Ahadith concerning the Isra’ and Mi’raj narrated by Bukhari
2. Why was The Prophet ﷺ taken to Bayt al-Maqdis before the ascent to heaven?
3. Were the Isra’ and Mi’raj a dream, or did they happen whilst the Prophet (S) was awake?
4. Did the Isra’ and Mi’raj happen on one and the same night?
5. When did the Mi’raj happen?
6. How many times was the Prophet’s ﷺ chest split?
8. The Prophet’s ﷺ arrival in the first heaven
9. The Prophet Muhammad’s ﷺ meeting with other Prophets in heaven
10. Moses’ weeping when he saw the status of the Prophet ﷺ
11. The Much-Frequented House
12. The Lote-tree beyond which none may pass
13. The rivers seen by the Prophet ﷺ
14. Allah’s guiding the Prophet ﷺ to the Fitrah (natural disposition)
15. Additional details not given by Bukhari
16. Did the Prophet ﷺ see his Lord on the night of the Isra’?
17. A’ishah denied that the Prophet ﷺ saw his Lord
18. The opinions of the first generation